Friday, December 12, 2008

New Oppertunity, New Challanges

About 6 months ago, before I started working as a travel agent, I posted my resume up on M0nster .ca. Then I started working as a travel agent, and stopped looking on M0nster. I did get weekly (or so) e-mails from them, but most (all) of the jobs that were e-mailed to were based in Calgary (which is about 3 hours away), so I didn't pay too much attention. Plus, I had a job, I was working from home.

I do really like my job, I enjoy trying to help people plan their vacations, and I LOVE that I'm able to do it from home. Although there are definitely draw back, in that it doesn't pay a whole lot, and the pay is random, as I am paid solely on commission. Plus, I have to do my own advertising to get the word out, and drum up my own business.

So where does this lead us?

This afternoon the phone rang. I didn't recognize the number, in fact I was ready to tell whoever was calling me about a credit card that I wasn't interested, when the voice on the phone said something I wasn't expecting.

It was as job placement agency, that got my resume of M0nster and they had a job opening in Medicine Hat at a local Oil and Gas company that they were wondering if I was interested in? Hum, I said, "I could be interested, depending on the job!"

We got to talking, and the job is mostly an office administration position, and is part time. Actually it's only 2 days a week, and the pay is pretty good too! So she asked me to e-mail her the latest copy of my resume, and to fill in an on-line interview (since she is based in Calgary and I am in Medicine Hat, they are allowing me to do the interview on-line).

So here I sit. It's scary to think about going back to work. It's scary to think about putting Donovan in a day home. However, it is also good to think about that, because I do think that it will be good for him to interact with other kids and get to play with more then just me!

I figure that since this job came to me, and I didn't seek it out, it's a good sign. I've sent in my resume, filled out the form, and then trying very hard not to worry about it! It's no longer in my hands. And if I'm offered this job, then I will make my final decision. Although right now, it's looking pretty positive.

Any advice you have to offer would be greatly appreciated!

(ps, I know it's with an oil and gas company, which doesn't really sit well with the environment side of me, but the lady did say that they were quite interested in my degree, and if things went well, there was room to move up in the company and move into a position that would involve my environmental training. But that could just be talk in order to get me to say yes to the job! uggg, lots to think about!)

1 comment:

Rosalyn said...

I'm pleased for you Jackie. If it's only 2 days a week for now, it won't be so hard to leave Donovan a little bit, you'll still have loads of time to hang out with him. And we'll see where this takes you. Good luck!!