Thursday, December 11, 2008

For Magnetbabe

I give you Ruby in the snow:






I don't know if I've shared this story with you before, but if I have it was probably so long ago that you don't remember anyway.
When we first adopted Ruby from the Shelter, it was February. February in PEI I might add, and in PEI they have SNOW in the winter, like all winter long, snow, glorious snow! We think she was about 4 months old when we got her, which would make her birthday sometime in November.
Ruby was found abandoned in the ditch on the side of a country road not far from where we were living at the time. And in a completely side note, taking us way off track, we think we know who Ruby's dad is, being that there is a male dog that looks EXACTLY like Ruby (so much so that driving home one day I actually pulled the car over to see what she was doing out of the house and on the road, only to find it wasn't Ruby but a male Ruby look alike), and this dog that is a Ruby look-a-like lives VERY close to the place that Ruby was found in the ditch.
ANYWAY..... the point of this story was that Ruby was born sometime in a snowy PEI winter, and we brought her home during that winter, and therefore, she was trained to do her "business" outside, in the winter, on the snow.
That spring, when super genius Ruby was completely trained, the snow started to melt. I didn't think anything of this, in fact I thought that Ruby would be happy to have grass to run around on. But what I failed to consider is that Ruby was trained to go on the snow, not the grass. It didn't take too long before she did number one on the grass, as that is hard to hold in when you really got to go! But number two? Well she searched and she searched until she found the last remaining snow bank to relieve herself on. It took her a good month before she was able to just go on the grass without searching for snow first!
But I swear, if she could smile (which those of us who are pet people know that they can) she would smile every year when the snow came back! I swear, she is never happier, then when she is knee, hip or neck deep in the snow!
Remind me to tell you about the winter storm we had and the snow was so deep she was literaly SWIMMING in the snow. Oh wait a min, I think I just did tell you! lol

1 comment:

Natalie said...

Thank you! Gotta love dogs and snow. What a fantastic story. I didn't know she was from a shelter. Bravo!